2017: Celebrating 200 Years as a State!
2017 comes with a birthday; Mississippi’s bicentennial will be celebrated all throughout the coming year!
Y’all get your party hats on because if anyone knows how to celebrate, it is Mississippi!!
You can look forward to Mississippi’s 2017 with the following celebrations:
- In December 2017 the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum will open!
- 1817 State Constitution and 20-Star Flag will be on tour throughout Mississippi.
- Mississippi Public Broadcasting will produce a series of documentary short films about Mississippi at 200.
- The Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library will move to a newly constructed wing of the Mitchell Memorial Library on MSU’s campus.
- The Secretary of State’s Office will release a Mississippi Bicentennial coffee table book featuring chapters written by and about celebrated Mississippians. I can’t wait to get my hands on that!!
- The Mississippi Heritage Truest, celebrating 25 years, is doing a 25/200 project documenting preservation milestones in Mississippi with a book, short films, and events throughout the state.
- The Mississippi Arts and Entertainment Experience will open in downtown Meridian.
- The Mississippi Arts Commission’s Mississippi Folk and Traditional Arts Program will highlight folklife through mini exhibitions around the state.
- Mississippi’s 13 official welcoming centers will all host special commemorations!
To keep up with all the highlights and events planned for Mississippi’s bicentennial, be sure to visit www.ms200.org!
Mississippi's Miss Hospitality
Mary Elizabeth Stringer